Make a difference to NYC Public School students by sharing your expertise.
The New York Academy of Sciences is currently recruiting for its After School Mentoring Program (ASMP). This program places practicing scientists in NYC public school classrooms with school educators as guest mentors. The goal is not only to spark curiosity in young minds but also to reignite the scientist’s genuine love for the STEM world. Weekly mentorship sessions will be supported by a curriculum of 60-minute-long hands-on STEM activities, with the goal of supporting mentees’ STEM identities while offering the scientist new agency in the role of a mentor. The commitment for scientists will involve 10-weekly 1-hour sessions with their matched afterschool classroom between February 13 – May 26, 2023.
NYAS is welcoming STEM professionals interested in sharing their passion for the sciences, as well as those pursuing undergraduate, graduate students, and postdoc degrees. In addition to the chance to develop science communication, outreach, and mentoring skills, accepted participants receive a stipend and a complimentary 1-year membership to the Academy!
Important links for the After School STEM Mentoring Program:
- Website: https://www.nyas.org/asmp
- Application (due January 8th, 2023): https://gsa.smapply.io/prog/ASMPmentor
- Acceptance letters sent & classroom matches: January 2nd – January 25th, 2023
- Mentor Curriculum Training Sessions (2.5 hr virtual workshop) with 3 options:
- Option 1: January 25th, 5:30 to 8:00 p.m.
- Option 2: January 28th, 10:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
- Option 3: January 31st, 5:30 to 8:00 p.m.
- Midpoint check-ins (1.5 hr virtual workshop) with 2 options subject to shift:
- March 20th
- March 21st
- Classroom sessions begin the week of February 13th and run through May 26th (10 sessions).
- Certificates and stipends will be awarded on May 31st.
Interested individuals can reach out to the team at email@example.com or contact ASMP Program Manager, Danielle directly at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any additional questions about becoming a STEM mentor with NYAS.