New versions of NYS Civil Boundaries and NYS Place Points datasets were published last month (February) and are both available as:
- GDBs and SHPs for download here at gis.ny.gov. Place Points can be downloaded here
- Map services (Feature Service, WFS, Map Service and WMS) available here at gis.ny.gov
- Schema changes were made to all boundary layers. Changes include reordering fields and adding a US Census FIPS code field. More info about FIPS can be found here. For the Indian Territory layer, a US Census American Indian Area (AIA) code field was added. See table below for a full list of changes.
- NY state, county, city, town and village boundaries were realigned where shared with the NJ state boundary. The boundaries were realigned to NJ provided data.
- The Village of Kriyas Joel boundary was updated to be coterminous with the Town of Palm Tree boundary. The village annexed the remaining area within the town in June 2019.
- The Village of Morristown in St. Lawrence County dissolved
The NY state boundary layer (the entire civil boundaries dataset) was provided to Census with a statement that both NJ and NY approve it as the GIS representation for their shared state boundary.
- Census intends to incorporate it into their data for use in the 2020 Census.
- A similar submission was made to Census in 2019 for the shared PA/NY state boundary.
These Field Attribute changes apply to all NYS_Civil_Boundaries downloadable files and web map services (ESRI Feature Service, ESRI Map Service, OGC WFS and OGC WMS):
|Rename ABBREVIATION to ABBREV||X||X||X||X|
|Rename CALC_SqMi to CALC_SQ_MI||X||X||X||X||X||X||X||X||X|
|Rename DOS_LL_DATE to DOSLL_DATE||X||X||X||X||X||X||X|
|Rename SP_ZONE to NYSP_ZONE||X||X|
Updated Metadata documentation:
County Shoreline: http://gis.ny.gov/gisdata/metadata/nysgis.Counties_Shoreline.pdf
Indian Territories: http://gis.ny.gov/gisdata/metadata/nysgis.Indian_Territories.pdf
State Shoreline: http://gis.ny.gov/gisdata/metadata/nysgis.State_Shoreline.pdf
Thanks- and if you have any questions about the NYS Civil Boundaries GIS data, please feel free to contact me, or send an email to: GISBoundaries@its.ny.gov
Kate Kiyanitsa, GISP
GIS Program Office | Public Safety Portfolio
NYS Office of Information Technology Services
Harriman State Office Campus
1220 Washington Ave, Bldg 5- Floor 1, Albany, NY 12226
(518) 242-5041 | Katherine.Kiyanitsa@its.ny.gov