Make a difference to NYC Public School students by sharing your expertise.
The New York Academy of Sciences is currently recruiting for their After School STEM Mentoring Program (ASMP), which pairs STEM professionals, including undergraduate and graduate students, with NYC public school classroom educators as guest mentors. The goal is not only to spark curiosity in young minds but to also reignite our passion for our STEM disciplines.
Weekly mentorship sessions will be guided by a curriculum of 60-minute-long hands-on STEM activities, with the goal of supporting mentees’ STEM identities while offering the scientist new agency in the role of a mentor. The commitment for scientists will involve 10 weekly 1-hour sessions with their matched school classroom between October 3rd – December 16th, 2022. Applications are due August 26th, 2022.
NYAS is welcoming STEM professionals interested in sharing their passion for the sciences, as well as those pursuing undergraduate, graduate students, and postdoc degrees. In addition to the chance to develop science communication, outreach, and mentoring skills, accepted participants receive a stipend and a complimentary 1-year membership to the Academy!
Important links for the After School STEM Mentoring Program:
- Website: https://www.nyas.org/asmp
- Application (due August 26th, 2022): https://gsa.smapply.io/prog/ASMPmentor
- Acceptance letters sent & classroom matches: August 27th – September 23rd, 2022
- Mentor Curriculum Training Sessions (2hr virtual workshop)
- 3 options: June 24th, June 28th, June 30th
- Midpoint check-ins (1hr virtual workshop)
- 2 options: November 9th or 12th