The mission of the New York State GIS Association is to assist, educate, coordinate and guide the implementation, development and maintenance of GIS (Geographic Information Systems) technology in the State of New York. The Association’s primary goals and objectives are to:
- Support development of the GIS profession throughout the state of New York
- Assist, educate, and contribute towards the implementation and development of GIS technology in the state of New York.
- Foster a spirit of cooperation among local, state and federal agencies, educational institutions and the private sector in addressing priority GIS issues and data development initiatives for New York.
- Contribute towards hosting regular meetings, conferences and technical workshops for the exchange of information and to exhibit products and services.
- Educate the general public about the nature of, and benefits from geospatial information and related technologies, including but not limited to, geographic and land information systems, the Internet, and global positioning technologies (GPS).
- Publish documents, produce educational materials, and promote education pertaining to geographic information and related technologies.
Our vision is to grow a professional society that promotes GIS as an industry and helps to further opportunities for GIS professionals. The Association welcomes and encourages additional involvement from government administrators, managers and other geospatial technology professionals.